Weekly Wrap – Week 8

Old Scholars Day and a clean sweep at the Superdome on Saturday and a reality check on Sunday in a weekend where 32 goals were scored. Here is how every one of those goals happened.

The E Grade lined up against a Green United side who held OISC to a draw in the corresponding fixture in 2016. From the first whistle though OISC took control, Marty Radcliffe getting the scoring underway and he was soon joined by Michael McGuire who made it 2-0. Continuing the dominance a Marty cross into Joel Ortner set the ball up ideally for Leachy to keep building the tally. The defence with new international import Danzo in goal had little to do as Peter Cates continued the domination with a goal of his own, making him smile from ear to ear. Finally Green were able to build some attacking momentum and bring one back but it was short lived as Leachy put in his second. Capitalising on the glare at the clubroom end, Green popped one nicely over Danzo’s head before Ben Ferris made the half time scoreline 6-2. The second half not having anywhere near the frenetic nature or goals of the first, Green building some attacking momentum against a tiring OISC side, bringing a further goal back but the damage was done in the first 45 as OISC took the points 6-3.

The D Grade only narrowly edged Green United in the corresponding fixture last year but this time around Ciano’s men took the early ascendancy as Callum Watson and Johnno both getting on the board. Green were under siege from the OISC attacking duo as Johnno put in his second. Captain Emerson Ciccarello got in on the act as a speculative shot from halfway miraculously extended the lead to four. In the second Green continued to struggle with OISC’s attacking threats as Emmo got his second, neatly finishing from a on the spot corner kick. Callum picked up his second before Andrew Talbot put a free into the box, Iordan Kostadinov rising to head the ball home. In the end at the final whistle a convincing 8-0 victory to The D’s.

The C Grade was an all family affair as for the first time in OISC history four sets of brothers took the field in the same team; John & Tom Smith, Jack & Lewis Cooke; Anurag & Anubhav Chauhan and Matt & Phil Dichiera. The match against Gleeson began in uninspiring fashion as neither side was able to get on top and put any kind of attacking pressure on. It took a Gleeson defensive error to open the scoring as an own goal put OISC 1-0 ahead at the break. In the second half the family theme took centre stage as the C’s began to get on top; Jack Cooke putting in two goals to put OISC well in control. Wanting to gatecrash the family thing Trent Spinelli cut the ball back only for the family to get it back as John Smith extended the lead to four. Anurag Chauhan had a number of chances to extend the lead but like others peppering the goal was just unable to find the back of the net. Some say that it was Barbs’ filming of these chances of goal was responsible for the misses. A point that was proven correct soon after as the camera was put down in disgust and a Lewis Cooke corner found Tom Smith’s head to extend the lead to and seal a 5-0 victory.

The B’s weren’t troubled early on as Raf Ceravolo was turning the Gleeson defence inside out and finding Curtis Covino whose ball over to Julian Titaro opened the scoring. Following this goal OISC was able to maintain a lot of the attacking possession before Gleeson were able to catch the defence unprepared, leveling the match. As the half progressed OISC got back on top; Dos and Tarek linking up to put Shaun George through on goal to regain the lead which Shaun soon extended with his brace. The second half did not live up to the level of the first, the B’s a lot flatter, and lacking the same attacking drive they had. Defensively they remained untroubled and were able to maintain their 3-1 lead through to the final whistle.

The A Grade looked to arrest their form of the previous two weeks and hoped to use the occasion of a match against rivals Gleeson to do just that. The camera must have been off in the early stages as OISC was able to keep the ball in their attacking half with a surging Barbs charging around the keeper to open the scoring. Peter Barone and Barbs again made the advantage three as OISC were all over their opposition. In the second half OISC needed to go on with  3-0 lead they had at the break and not let their opposition back into the match. Fearing deja vu may strike again was brought to the forefront as Gleeson scored early in the half. Continuing his day out Barbs restored the three goal buffer a lead which could have been four when a spot kick was missed. Showing OISC how its done Gleeson again narrowed the advantage from the penalty spot. OISC were able to show good resolve as they kept control of the match, Barbs putting in his fourth before Mike Manou put the icing on the cake of a convincing 7-2 victory.

On a wet and slippery Sunday morning the Lady Wolves lined up against Pembroke in the knowledge that their opposition would be determined to make amends for the defeat at the hands of OISC in the 2016 Cup Final. Amends they began to make in the opening minutes as they took the lead forcing OISC onto the back foot. Sensing that it was not going to be an easy task by any stretch the girls began to lift their game; Sophie Panousakis proving pivotal in the midfield. Eliza Sims linking up with Gabby Parente brought the match back on level terms before OISC began to take full control as Eliza scored to give the girls the lead. This was further extended when Christine D’Onofrio put Sophie Hlipala through for the third. The job far from done, OISC came out very flat in the second half, Pembroke taking full toll and punishing the girls quickly leveling the match. The girls did get through on goal a number of times as the half progressed but were denied by some outstanding goalkeeping. In the end the girls were made to pay for a disappointing and below standard second half dropping their first points of the year as the match ended 3-3

Cup Week arrives next week for the men with only two sides in action. The A Grade host fellow Div 2 side Stirling Districts on Saturday from 2:45pm at the Superdome. The B Grade meanwhile are in action in the Reserve Cup on Sunday as they travel to face Sunday Premier side Parafield Gardens from 12:30pm at Bradman Road Oval. The Lady Wolves are also in action on Sunday as they host Sacred Heart.