Weekly Wrap – Week 7

Messiahs, set piece goals and one point headlined a weekend which saw some teams take important wins.

The D grade went down to the newly re-sized Strathalbyn pitch in a bottom of the table relegation dogfight. A significantly shorter and narrower pitch than the polo field which OISC has graced in previous years welcomed the team. The first half was dominated by the wolves, who took an early lead through a Nick Crouch goal. The half time lead was 1-0, but it should have been more. Michael Pannunzio missed 2 great chances to extend the lead. Strathalbyn pressed more in the second half, and got a lucky equaliser through a deflected shot. OISC went close to clinching a winner through James Brown and Morgan Martin-Skerm, however the winning goal did not come, and a 1-1 draw was the result.

The C Grade found themselves playing catch-up all day against a Wanderers side who dominated play from the outset. They were able to break through the OISC defence with relative ease. There was little in the way of highlights for OISC with Wanderers taking the match 4-0.

The B Grade took on a Wanderers side featuring a number of faces previously part of their A Grade. OISC however applied pressure from the outset and dictated the play with ease against a side that appeared to be slow and second to the ball. As a result they were able to create one attacking move after another only to be denied by the 10ft Wanderers keeper. After what proved to be Wanderers best chance for the half was kept out in bizarre circumstances by Ronnie Arboit, his long kick out from goal and landed right into the path of Andrew Rossi who was able to beat the keeper and give OISC the lead (assist: Arboit). A second shortly after to Simon Ventoruzzo saw OISC continue to grow in confidence as Wanderers began to worry about peripherals rather than stopping domination of the midfield in particular by James Blake and Adam Sorgini. In the second half Wanderers did manage to get one back thanks in part to defensive and communication errors by OISC. With Wanderers players more interested in having piggybacks in the 18 yard box, OISC earnt a penalty duly converted by James Blake. Summing up Wanderers day an Andrew Rossi shot which was saved by the keeper; the kick out somehow managed to find its way back onto Rossi’s boot ricocheting into the back of the net to cap off a dominant 4-1 win.

The A Grade could settle for no less than 3 points but received a blow right before kick-off with the late withdrawal of Tom/John Smith, not wanting to change the appearance of the team to drastically as a result; Coach Buckley didn’t have to look far calling in John/Tom Smith as defensive cover. Not having defeated Wanderers in 2013 OISC maintained the momentum of last week dominating early play having chance after chance with the attacking duo of messiah Carbone and Gauro keeping the Wanderers defence under sustained pressure. What was thought to be OISC’s best chance for the half saw a Mick Dunstan shot find its way into the path of Gary Dal Broi rather than the back of the net. Minutes later a Carbs free kick again found its way into Gary’s path, however this time to OISC’s advantage with the header giving OISC the lead. Wanderers had little in the way of chances as OISC continued to push forward, the 1-0 half time lead not truly reflecting the difference between the two sides. Moments into the second half, another perfectly weighted Carbs free kick found its way right onto the foot of a running Davide ‘Dos’ Cavuoto who only had the formality of sending it into the net to double the advantage. Seemingly content with a 2-0 lead OISC released the pressure as Wanderers were able to start to create one or two chances, with a long range rocket bringing the score back to 2-1. With OISC heads dropping Wanderers upped the ante, their supporters beginning to make sounds from the sideline. A second shortly after from a follow up of an Emerson Ciccarello save levelled the match and proved that OISC once again were trying to win the hard way. The defensive line particularly Zanin, Sartoretto, captain Stenta and messiah in waiting Raf Ceravolo, proved effective in stopping further attacking moves and getting the rest of the side to “lift.” This appeared to do its job with 20 to go a goal to Peter Barone who was also denied with a long range strike and a Gauro tap in sealed a 4-2 win.

On Sunday the OISC women took on Seymour in a match which was key to consolidating their good start. The match was fairly evenly poised both sides having opportunities. Strong OISC defending particular from the better Murray and Zanin as well as outstanding “lady-marking” from Kate Ferguson blunted a lot of Seymour’s attacking power however a rocket from distance into the top corner gave Seymour the lead. OISC continued to press for an equaliser which came in the form of a perfect free kick from Natalia Rossi that found Gabby Parente waiting in the 6-yard box to finish. In the second half OISC should have been able to take the lead with what appeared to be a clear handball in the box not awarded. Both sides continued to search for the winner with a possibly dubious handball call in Seymour favour saw them gain some momentum. Needing to push forward, OISC found themselves vulnerable at the back with Seymour putting two late goals in to take the match 3-1.

Next week sees a return to Glenunga with the A/B/C Grades taking on Adelaide Uni with Coach Baker taking on his former club. The OISC women take on St Peters on Sunday. The D and E Grades meanwhile have a bye.

The 2014 Quiz Night is on Saturday June 28 at the St Ignatius’ Parish Hall, Norwood. 6:30pm for a 7pm start, $10 entry. BYO Food (no drinks), full bar facilities will be available. As well as the quiz, the raffle and silent auction will once again be back with some great prizes on offer. To book a table please contact Marc “Bacon” Lissner on 0420 904 743, please also check out the Facebook event for more info.