Weekly Wrap – Week 4

Goals, key wins and return of an old friend headlined a weekend which saw a number of teams return to the winners list with key victories.

Without Coach Danzo & Captain Leachy, the reigns of the E’s were handed to Bacon & Marty. With a number of defenders in the squad, Marty was moved to lone striker, with the hope his height would help when clearing the ball from defence. Cove committed to playing it on the ground in their half. Very few chances in the first half, however Cove took advantage of a ball not cleared from the box and went 1-0 up.  Structures stayed the same in the 2nd, with OISC now kicking into a strong breeze. Avi & Farzin forced Cove to use the wings, and again there was much running, but not much trouble. Another ball not cleared in time meant their striker was able to shoot quickly, and scored their second with the ball hitting the upright and bouncing in for a 2-0 Cove win.

The D Grade suffering with a few key outs found the going very tough against a Cove side that were always expected to be a big challenge for the D’s. Several early goals to Cove mean OISC had to work hard to try to limit the damage. Many outstanding saves from Iordan Kostadinov kept out a number of Cove’s many shots. A lucky dink into the back of the net by Gab Soriano gave OISC something to take out of the match but in the end Cove convincingly took a 10-1 win.

The C Grade was in control right from kick-off against a Vipers side who looked out of their depth. Despite having limited to no bench to call on they immediately got on with the job and created chance after chance with the OISC defensive having little to do. Goals to Adam Kangas, Frank Maio, Blake Thompson as well as braces to Steve Simonato and the little man Rocco D’Onofrio (pushing for a B Grade call-up). The lead could have and should have been far greater with so many chances not dropping like a shot from Greg Buch which hit the crossbar before going over, in the end OISC took a comfortable 7-0 win.

The B Grade played out a dominant first half with Andrew Rossi continuing his good form with a second consecutive brace who along with Anthony Aoukar and Sholto Broderick gave OISC a comfortable buffer at the half. A change in formation after half time found OISC playing far too narrow through the middle of the park which allowed Vipers to begin to build some momentum out wide and take advantage of the space OISC was creating for them. The OISC defence found themselves come under pressure as some feeling began to creep into the match with some dodgy challenges on OISC players going un-penalised by the ref. Vipers did manage to get one back but the return of international signing Ryan Dew to the side attempted to steady the ship with OISC answering the call with Sholto Broderick putting his second for the match home for a 5-1 victory.

The A Grade had their strongest side in a must win match which they dominated early but found themselves unable to open the scoring until Simon Ventoruzzo found a turn of speed (it’s thanks to the haircut) mid way through the half that put him 1 on 1 with the keeper putting OISC ahead. Poor defence from OISC let Vipers draw level until Carbs and Chris Gauro combined allowing Chris to put OISC back in front. Once again OISC sat back let Vipers back into the game allowing them to press forward and thanks to a penalty draw level once again. A precarious 2-2 scoreline at half time left OISC in a dangerous position. A rev up from coach Dave Baker at half time tried to encourage the players to keep working hard with the coach pointing out the d……anger players for Vipers that needed to be shut out of the match. The message took a long time to sink in with OISC coming out quite lethargic, slow to track forward out of defence and lacking talk, Vipers looked like they may be able to steal the match. The large OISC crowd on the sideline tried to lift the boys and get them to play themselves back into the match and season. Tireless work from Adam Ciano in defence and Elias Khoury in the midfield as well as key saves from Ronnie Arboit kept OISC in it. Coaches Baker and Buckley getting nervous and disrespectfully close to the line as the chances weren’t coming. However on the hour OISC finally broke the shackles with goals to Carbs, a header from Tom Smith and a sealer to Elias Khoury gave OISC a pressure releasing 5-2 win.

On Sunday the OISC women looked to bounce back. The first half however was largely uninspiring with OISC not looking like they had come to play with skill errors and poor passages of play not letting the girls take control of the match. A Niki Kapnistis goal however still managed to give OISC a 1-0 lead at half time. Anther impassioned plea from a frustrated coach Rossi at half time called for the girls to respond. An early leveller by Uni in the second half made it look like there was to be more of the same in the second half. Hard work throughout the match in defence particularly by Laura Zanin and Lucia Caretti as well as keeper Isabella Rossi stopped Uni from taking the lead. A top class header from a corner by Laura “the better” Zanin put OISC back in front. This was the catalyst for OISC to gain the momentum with a volley by Alysia Panagakos opening up a two goal lead. A long range shot from Gabby Parente from outside OISC’s own half found its way into the top corner. At this point everything was going OISC’s way; a Uni own goal worthy of any striker put OISC 5-1 ahead. A late penalty to Uni which was skyed over the bar ensured that was where the result remained.

Next week OISC travels to all corners of Adelaide with the cup week taking hold for the men with only the A’s and B’s in action. The A Grade travelling north on Sunday to take on Salisbury Florina while also on Sunday the B’s travel south to face Southern Knights. The women return home to Glenunga to launch the new pitch at the Superdome taking on Seymour Green.