Weekly Wrap – Week 3

More away games, a coach’s return and a Sunday road trip headlines a weekend in which some sides suffered slip ups.

Without coach Danzo, Leachy took the reins of the E’s this week against rivals Adelaide Uni. The game started end to end play, but neither keeper was really tested. The first goal was scored by Uni, who took the ball down the middle with a fast break from an OISC corner. OISC looked to take control from here, and a great run down the right wing by Prash brought a successful penalty, duly slotted by Leachy.  The game went to the break at 1-1, but not without a few chances (OISC hit the bar twice, and Bacon made a great save with his legs against a 1 on 1). After half-time, OISC had most of the ball, and a long switch on halfway by Leachy released James Brown who after one touch, smashed the ball past the keeper. Uni pressed for the equaliser, and with about 5 left put a low shot into the bottom corner. OISC pushed for a winner, but the matched finished 2-2.

The D’s looked to put the last few weeks behind them with some returning players including Andrew Culshaw, Morgan Martin-Skerm and Peter D’Argenio bolstering the OISC defensive and midfield lines. The match began evenly poised with OISC working to gain the upper hand. Andrew Culshaw was standout in defence and was ably supported by Morgan Martin-Skerm dictating the play in the midfield. Despite all this hard work to get the ball forward OISC was lacking impetus up front showing goal scoring continues to be a difficult point. In the end OISC was unlucky to not get away with a draw owing to the much better showing but in the end Uni took a 1-0 victory.

The C’s headed south to take on Sturt Marion. Greg’s side looked to replicate the good result they had at Marion last year. They weren’t as dominant as last year missing some key playmakers but still managed to bet a breakthrough with Nick Barbieri opening the scoring. Both sides continued to press into the second half but in the end OISC took a vital 1-0 win.

The B’s dominated right from the outset creating chance after chance putting the Sturt Marion keeper under continued pressure. Magenta clad OISC keeper Emerson Ciccarello marshalled the defence to keep the ball out of the danger zone. The ball when sent quickly back into attack fell to Andrew Rossi who sent a clinical shot into the top corner. In the second half the relentless pressure continued with Andrew Rossi this time taking control of the ball from a goalkeeper kick which onlookers described as having stuck to his foot and from which he sent another clinical shot into the back of the net. Holding a 2 goal advantage a minor slip when a rare error in communication with the defensive line saw OISC pre-empt Everton and gift an own goal to Sturt… silver boots perhaps. OISC were not going to let this upset the day with Anthony Aoukar who had been running the wing all day finding himself on the end of a cross in the box to seal a 3-1 win for OISC.

In the shadows of the Peter Buckley stand the A’s again suffering with mass changes to the line-up got off to a good start keeping pace with the opposition. Sturt opened the scoring about halfway through the first period from a long ball crossed into the box. OISC nearly had an immediate reply with a Mick Dunstan free kick from 20 yards hitting the crossbar. The 1-0 half time score gave OISC a chance to reload, but in the second half Sturt kept their one style of play they had up pumping in a long ball and crossing it into the box. OISC struggled to turn the tide with players struggling with the task at hand and playing the positions they were placed in. A consolation goal to Chris Gauro provided a highlight but a late penalty to Sturt finished off a disappointing match, Sturt winning 5-1.

On Sunday the OISC women went for a road trip up the windy roads of the Torrens Valley to take on Birdwood High. OISC started off slowly with the much bigger and faster Birdwood side taking advantage in the first 20 minutes opening up a 3 goal on the sprawling paddock with goals. OISC settled and created chances of their own, Alysia Panagakos, Christina Tziortzis and Sarah Tronnolone all having chances to peg some back. In the second half the game was more evenly matched with OISC dominating play for significant periods. Despite some ridiculous yellow cards handed out to OISC they continues to press forward; Birdwood however showed their run and put a fourth away followed by a late penalty to take the points 5-0.

Next week the A/B/C Grades have must win games against Vipers; the D/E Grades take on Cove while the women play Adelaide Uni.

Training continues this week as normal on Monday and Wednesday, please check Facebook and text messages for details.

A-League Grand Final is this Sunday 4 May; kick off at 3:30pm. Make sure you get down to our major sponsor The Maylands Hotel to watch. Check the Facebook event for more info.