Weekly Wrap – Week 24

Final Matchday, Cup Final and a trophy headlined a historic finish to Season 2014.

The crackerjack final match day got underway early when the OISC women headed down Greenhill Road to take on Pembroke. Missing some key players, the girls got off to a sluggish start with skill errors and wasted chances becoming far too common place. The defence had to remain alert to the attacking moves Pembroke were able to create; Enya and Natalia working hard to clear out many of them. Those that got through were ably dealt with by Josephine or through defensive pressure sent wide. Gabby Parente remained solid through the midfield controlling the play and sending the ball forward with Niki Kapnistis putting in the opener to give OISC a 1-0 lead at half time. The second half picked up where the first left off with sluggish play again dominating with neither side able to take control of the match. Pembroke’s best chance of the half ruled to be offside. Capitalising on this OISC were able to extend their lead through Gemma Bateman. The match finishing with a 2-0 victory to OISC, securing the girls their 11th win of the league season and a record tally of 35 points, scoring 51 goals for the year while only conceding 22.

In the afternoon, the focus turned to the B Grade in the Reserve Cup Final. Coming off a commanding Semi-Final victory, OISC expected a tough battle against Sunday Premier side Elizabeth Downs. OISC however flew out of the blocks taking possession from the Downs kick-off, Carbs finding Shaun George who put the ball through to Chris Gauro giving OISC the lead within the first minute. OISC were relentless in the opening minutes Phillip Dichiera, setting up Gauro who missed a chance through a back heel, and a second shot which flew into the bar. OISC kept the ball deep in their attacking half regularly having the opportunity to line up corner kicks, Gary Dal Broi finding himself on the end of one of Carbs’ corners shortly after to extend the advantage to two. Keeping the intensity high a shell-shocked Downs had little in the way of chances to move the ball forward. The lightning start continued with Carbs taken down the box, the referee pointing to the spot to have the messiah extend the advantage to three with only 18 minutes on the clock. Coach Rossi warning the players to dose their efforts in the warm conditions. With that Downs began to work their way into the match, OISC needing to adjust and respond to their running man-on-man playing style, the defensive four needing to clear out a number of attacking moves. Gary and Phil proving effective in clearing the ball from defence and feeding in through the middle. Late in the half the ref again pointed to the spot when again an OISC player was fouled in the box. The messiah tag becoming questionable with Carbs sending the spot kick wide.

With a 3-0 half time score line which on the balance of chances could have been far greater the players were warned that the job was far from done. Coach Rossi reminded the guys that they needed to keep the intensity high but also respond to the inevitable lift in pressure that was going to come from the opposition, immediately coming out of half time.

Coming out from the break Downs did as expected show renewed vigour putting the OISC defence under pressure; Adam Ciano, Tom Surman and Julian Sartoretto all continuing to work hard to clear the ball from defence. The attacking pressure did eventually break through with Downs bringing the score back to 3-1. Downs continued to pressure OISC with the defence having to work hard to keep further shots at bay; Stavros Grafyadel having to pull off some key saves including a dive to the right to send a dipping ball away from the top corner. As the half continued OISC resumed control of the match, Nick Barbieri proving menacing in attack, putting in his first to regain the three goal buffer, extended on 74 minutes with Gauro’s second. The shackles completely breaking in the dying minutes with Barbs’ second. Not finished OISC had another penalty shout denied when Anthony Aoukar was taken down, and also missing a chance shortly after. The final whistle saw OISC take a comprehensive 6-1 victory, to be crowned the 2014 Banner Mitre 10 Reserve Cup Champions.

The victory sending the 60+ strong OISC crowd into raptures for the presentations. Chris Gauro awarded the Coppola Medal, being judged as best on field before the players and supporters combined for a spine-tingling rendition of “We are the boys of Ignatius” that echoed out right around Hindmarsh ending season 2014 on a high.

Thanks to everyone who attended Presentation Night on Saturday at the Alta Villa Club. A great night was had by all, even though some had to be more responsible than others.

For a full wrap of the winners, click here.


DSCN2458 DSCN2459

DSCN2462 DSCN2466

DSCN2468 DSCN2480

DSCN2481 DSCN2482

DSCN2484 DSCN2485

DSCN2490 DSCN2491

DSCN2492 DSCN2493

DSCN2499 DSCN2501

DSCN2503 2014-Weekly-Wrap-Week-24_web