Weekly Wrap – Week 20

A shortened final home matchday for season 2017 but three big wins for the teams in action keeping them all in contention for the spoils. Here are the highlights.

The D and E Grades had another unscheduled weekend off; both sides picking up 3-0 forfeit victories.

The C Grade however were not expecting to be able to collect the three points against BOSA in as easy fashion. Nevertheless on 10 minutes the C’s went ahead as an Adam Kangas corner found its way to Jake La Scala who finished through the melee of legs. At the other end BOSA had a goal disallowed for excessive control of the ball by hand. OISC remained the better side with far more attacking aggression and should have turned this into more scoreboard pressure but were forced into the break with only a one goal advantage. The second half, OISC once again proved the better side, the arrival of Adrian Stenta into the match having an immediate impact with a sneaky left foot lob sailing into the back of the net. The half wearing on, the boys didn’t take any risks and aimed to preserve their advantage, a deserved 2-0 victory.

The B Grade picked up a late notice 3-0 forfeit victory leaving a gap in the action before the A grade lined up in a must win clash against MA Hawks. The match got off to a positive start for OISC as they drew first blood early with a Julian Sartoretto long range clearance into space giving Nick Penta plenty of room to run onto the ball, drawing the keeper out and comfortably finishing. The lead in the opening 20 minutes was soon extended to two as Sam Pears picked up his first. After the positive start things started to go the opposite way with keeper Nick Dichiera forced from the field with a wrist injury. Hawks then bringing one back from the spot immediately after. The 2-1 half time lead precarious for the boys but nothing less than the three points was going to be acceptable so they had to go on with the job. Coming out of the break, Hawks began with attacking intent and had the opportunity to draw the match level in highly controversial circumstances; a handball in the box given against Sam Pears despite the ball appearing to all to strike him far from it. The OISC support on the sideline incredulous at the decision as the spot kick was converted to level the match. The shock of the situation that OISC now found themselves in saw a swing in momentum with Hawks taking the ascendancy; putting the defence under pressure but fortunately able to hold firm. Inevitably though OISC were not going to let all three points be whisked away from them, taking back the lead 10 minutes from time as a Julian Titaro corner found a rising Nick Penta header. Late in the game Hawks were reduced to 10 men and were not able to take anything from the match as OISC took the 3-2 victory.

On Sunday the Lady Wolves travelled to face a very windy fixture against Sacred Heart, a win putting them in touching distance of the league title. The girls got off to a slow start, not playing the early ball giving Sacred Heart their share of the early attacking play. Despite this it was OISC who got on the board first through an Eliza Sims shot (or was it a cross?) into the opposite corner. The small pitch and limited space making it hard for the girls to play their natural game as judgement of passes and avoiding opposing players proved difficult. As the half progressed the girls did begin to take full control through the defence and midfield; Chloe Murray and Gabby Parente working hard to get the ball out of the defence and through the midfield; Sheeny Soulsby being a recipient of this as her strike from long range putting the girls two ahead. Gabby soon after continued through for her first to give the girls a 3-0 half time lead, once which could have been more but nonetheless reflective of the first half. Coming out of the break the girls put their foot down Tess Keenan picking up two goals in quick succession. Sacred Heart did get back into the match, forcing the defence into some action to keep the fast attacking line from having any serious attacks on goal. Two goals late, Sarah Tronnolone receiving a throw on the bounce turning and shooting over the keepers head and Christine D’Onofrio putting a clean ball through for Sophie Hlipala to finish a solid way to end the match. In the end the 7-0 victory over a very gracious Sacred Heart side a fitting send off for original Lady Wolf Natalia Rossi in her final game for OISC.

It’s the final matchday of season 2017 for all sides this week. The action kicks off mid-week on Wednesday Night when the Lady Wolves take on Mercedes, 7:30pm at The Parks Football Centre, the girls hoping to seal their first ever league title. Make sure you get out to support them in their quest for their piece of history. On Saturday some bumper clashes also await with the A/B/C Grades heading west to take on Cobras. The A Grade needing a win to keep their hopes of promotion alive and the C’s a needing a win to put pressure on their rival in the chase for the league title. The D’s and E’s head north to take on Elizabeth Downs where both sides will be looking for top half finishes on the table and of course will Leachy get the two goals he needs for the 500???