Weekly Wrap – Week 20

Solid keeping, challenging grounds and an upset win headlined a weekend where only four teams were in action.

The D and E Grades both enjoyed another weekend off with the bye but the C Grade headed into the city to take on Adelaide Uni. The ground was bobbly and the pitch narrow with limited players available, the C’s put in a sound performance against one of the top sides in the division. Uni opened a comfortable buffer with two goals coming through errors in player marking in defence. Dan Pace continued to perform royally as an emergency goalkeeper. At the other end Adam Kangas had the best chance being 1-on-1 with the Uni goalkeeper, thwarted by a great save. In the end it wasn’t enough as Uni got another to take the match 3-0.

The B Grade took on Uni in a match where the two sides proved to be evenly matched early. Uni however managed to take a first half lead catching the OISC defence off guard and taking advantage. The match continued with both sides creating chances, with Marty and the defence working hard to hold out further Uni moves forward. In the second half OISC found the leveller in the opening minute with Nick Barbieri finding himself on the end of a through ball to bring it back to 1-1. From there both sides continued to press and create opportunities, Uni were able to maintain most of the possession in their attacking half but some vital saves from Marc Lissner in goals saved OISC’s bacon on a number of occasions; particularly putting a rapidly dipping ball from a corner over the bar. OISC had to hold out the remaining 20 minutes with 10 men when Paul Barolo was cruelly sent from the field for two harsh yellow cards. OISC continued to show some heart; Phil “new right back” Dichiera and the defence holding strong to keep out Uni’s man advantage to see the match finish in a 1-1 draw.

The A Grade missing some key players put Uni under pressure early who responded by trying to push their way down the left to be denied by the hard work of the OISC defensive three. The OISC midfield continued to dictate play with Elias Khoury and Shaun George giving the attacking duo chances to open the scoring. Eventually though a charging run from Elias down the right put a ball to Carbs who took a touch and in trying to split two Uni defenders caught the flailing hand of one inside the box to see the ref point to the spot; Captain Stents stepping up to slot the opener and give OISC a deserved lead. The remainder of the half both sides continued to press but OISC maintained the advantage at the break. The second half was to see some extra spice on and off the field with OISC looking to go on with the job and score the upset while Uni knew what dropping points may mean. Coming out of the break OISC looked to maintain the same momentum but before long Uni brought the match level. Not to be outdone OISC responded with Carbs lining up a free just outside the box curling the ball into the top corner bringing the OISC cheer squad and its leader Danzo back to life. Uni continued to put in attacking moves with Dino Zoff-Arboit in goal maintaining his composure and pulling off some vital saves, tipping a dipping ball over the bar and slapping a curling ball wide. Uni’s pressure did eventually break through and they levelled the match causing celebration from Uni supporters generally reserved for a win rather than an equaliser. With minutes to play OISC pushed forward again with new messiah Raff sending a through ball to the real messiah Carbs to crack the ball into the back of the net sending the OISC faithful into raptures and song stunning a now quiet Uni bench. As the refs watch appeared to keep time like a Thai Rolex the injury time minutes continued to tick over OISC held defensively firm to deny Uni’s late moves and eventually take a memorable and important 3-2 victory for Coach Baker and all those on and off the field.

On Sunday the OISC women travelled to take on St Peters on the re-aligned postage stamp at Stonyfell, but found themselves down early when a looping lob found its way into the net giving Saints an unexpected opener. OISC began to work their way into the match but struggled to keep the ball on the ground and hold it up in the attacking third with Saints able to effectively clear it out and press forward.  A push in the box saw the ref point to the spot and Sarah Tronnolone step up to bring the match back on level terms approaching half time. In the second half OISC continued to work hard with Kate and Enya working tirelessly and putting in strong defensive tackles to clear the ball out and through to the midfield where Gabby and Leah distributed the ball forward to put up further opportunities to score. OISC’s best chances for the half came from set pieces with Alysia Panagakos lining up a number of shots from corners and long range free kicks only to be denied on each occasion. Saints on the other hand took advantage of a free outside the box slotting it into the top corner. The girls continued to look for an equaliser but again fell agonisingly short with Saints taking a 2-1 victory.

Next Week all teams return to the Superdome with the final quintuple header of the year; the A/B/C Grades taking on Comets while the D and E Grades face Torrens Valley. The OISC Women have a catch-up game against Adelaide Uni on Sunday.

Event Reminders:
End of Season Drinks: Saturday 6 September, 6:30pm at The Maylands Hotel
Presentation Night: Saturday 20 September, 6:30pm at The Alta Villa Club (281 The Parade, Beulah Park). Tickets are $70.00 and available at training. RSVP and payment by Wednesday September 10th.