Weekly Wrap – Week 2

The A/B/C’s continued their brilliant form as they racked up their 2nd wins in a row as they look to maintain their unbeaten streak. The E’s shocked their opponents with a brilliant comeback win, and accuracy in front of goals saw the club hit 33 goals across the weekend.

Let’s start off with the E Grade’s thrilling season opener against Murray Bridge. The game started brightly for the home side as Mark Johnson headed in for the opening goal from a pin point corner delivered by veteran Leach. Soon after the E’s would concede twice in quick succession to find themselves chasing the game. A controversial penalty was awarded to Murray Bridge however Nick Evenden made the save. With the second half resuming the home side would concede soon after to go 3-1 down. This seemed to create a spark and revival as the E’s would be inspired by the dynamic duo of Marty and Leachy as they both scored to bring some parity to the match. Murray Bridge then scored to go 4-3, before both Marty and Leach notched their braces respectively. Finally Will Ventura hit a characteristic goal via a cheeky lob over the keeper, the E’s winning 6-4.

Next up Ciano’s D Grade looked to maintain the winning streak of the C’s and E’s, however found themselves under intense pressure from Murray Bridge and conceded three early goals.  Murray Bridge dominated the play, straggling the home sides attempt to restore some parity. Finally before half time Ben Ferris would notch his first of the season (fusion dance anybody?) leaving the game 1-3 in the visitors favour. The second half opened much like the first and OISC conceding again after the break. Murray Bridge maintained their dominance on the pitch, and despite having a man sent off. The away side would notch two further goals before everyone’s favourite Joel Ortner grabbed a goal. OISC succumb to their first loss of the season 2-6.

The C Grade maintained their high goal scoring standards with another pulsating match with one man in particular single handily scoring them to victory.  The C’s took on Wanderers but got off to a below par start as they conceded early. Slowly but surely OSIC began to find their feet; Adam Kangas hitting the cross bar. Kangas made a daring run from full back to send a cross into Jack Cooke who promptly chipped the keeper to level things up. Nick Evenden’s huge goal kick caused utter mayhem as it went over everyone’s head but Cooke’s took advantage to beat the keeper 1 on 1 for his second. Jack’s third saw OISC 3-1 up at the break.

Thought you saw the last of Cooke? Hardly as after half time resumed Jack would hit his fourth and fifth of the match to effectively kill off Wanderers chance of making a comeback (I wonder what he eats for breakfast?). Andrew Rossi would then make it 6-1 for the home side after some lovely passing from Dom Prince out wide. Seemingly everyone’s selfish streak emerged and the entire side went on the attack. Sadly no one was able to extend the already large lead. 6-1 win

The B Grade would continue where the C’s left as they also romped to a dominating victory over the Wanderers. The game started positively for the home side as Shaun George, never shy in front of goal scored the first to make it 1-0. Wanderers began to press and nearly grabbed a goal if wasn’t for the inspired defensive work of Blakey who cleared off the line. Tim Pears would make it 2-0, before a brilliant strike from Callum Watson from long range made it 3-0 shortly before half time. Play resumed for the second half and OISC created an inordinate amount of opportunities to score but no luck; Dos seeming to make a mess of a number of opportunities. Shortly thereafter Shaun George would get his second, with Phil Dichiera & Brandon Alvaro also getting goals of their own. Targeting the first clean sheet of the day, the B’s were unable to hold off and conceded two late goals for a 6-2 win.

Finally the main event of the day as the A Grade looked to get their second win in a row. OISC made the perfect start as Manou scored within 35 seconds of the match (sorry mate but Davies still beats you by 5 seconds). The Home side would dominate large parts of the first half but the Wanderers managed to make their way to goal but were denied by Nick Dichiera with a brilliant save, tipping the shot over the bar. Nick Penta would make it 2-0 with 29 minutes gone, before a Wanderers free kick would cut their lead to 2-1. The away side took heart from that effort and began to make life hard for OISC, but the home side reasserted control with Nick Barbieri making it 3-1 at half time. After half time the Wanderers came out with plenty of energy and managed to grab their second of the day. Peter Barone scored to make it 4-2 with the game played out with a penalty claim being waved away for OISC. The A’s hold on for the all-important victory 4-2.

Video Highlights of Saturday’s Goals

Easter Break means no matches, so eat up and enjoy time with your family.