Weekly Wrap – Week 19

A weekend of firsts, which saw important wins particularly for the A’s, C’s and Lady Wolves. Here is how another unbeaten weekend unfolded.

The D Grade were the only team in action against Green United following Green’s forfeit of the reserve fixture. Nevertheless the D’s started out against a 9 man opposition in lacklustre fashion, performing quite complacently and keeping Green in the match despite the numbers advantage. Inevitably though OISC were going to break through as a cross from Emo saw Max Soulsby net the first goal and his first goal for the club. Soon after everyone’s favourite Joel Ortner extended the advantage to two. The 2-0 half time lead could have been more but was an inevitable reality. In the second half Leachy was introduced into the game chasing the two goals he needed; Green also introduced additional players to finally make the match 11 v 11. This paid immediate dividends for Green as some sloppy OISC play saw them concede two quick goals bringing the match back on level terms. This was short lived though as Leachy put Joel through for his second and the D’s the lead once more. Despite the poor performance, OISC was lucky to walk away with the 3 points and a 3-2 victory.

The C Grade, missing a number of key players took on a Gleeson side who were yet to register a win for season 2017. As dictated by the respective ladder positions the majority of the play remained in OISC’s attacking half but they were simply not able to put the ball into the back of the net with chance after chance going everywhere but in the goal. Lewis Cooke finally breaking through and putting one on target to put OISC ahead. The second half was much like the first with countless chances created but not converted. The 1-0 scoreline remaining precarious for the C’s as nothing less than 3 points was going to be acceptable. Matt Congedi putting the match out of Gleeson’s reach late to give the C’s an ugly and rusty but none the less vital three points.

The B Grade were comfortably on top against a Gleeson side who had only registered two wins for the year. Though much like the C Grade they were unable to turn their domination on field into domination on the scoreboard; Phil Dichiera having a number of chances to convert early on but unable to do so. Against the run of play it was Gleeson who drew first blood with a cracking goal from a set piece. Going behind when they should have been ahead themselves rattled the B’s who were unlucky to not go two down when a silly penalty gave Gleeson the opportunity. The shot was blazed well wide of the goal to keep the margin unchanged. As half time approached; Gleeson were reduced to 10 in perplexing circumstances with a player seeing two yellow cards in quick succession for two unnecessary deliberate hand balls normally seen at a Crows or Power game. Coming out of the break with a goal deficit and man advantage the B’s should have looked to seize on this and get themselves back into the match but again they were able to create chances but not able to finish even the most basic of these. The frustration beginning to get the better of OISC who in the closing stages were themselves reduced to 10 following a moment of madness. As it looked like Gleeson would escape with the points until a sliding Jason Di Benedetto saved OISC’s blushes bringing the match level where it would end in a 1-1 draw.

The A Grade started well against a Gleeson side who were punished in their visit to Glenunga earlier in the year. Still taunted by last years visit to Pooraka the A’s needed to get on the board early; Julian Titaro shooting across goal into the opposite corner with little more than a quarter hour played allaying these fears. Fears which came flooding back as OISC dropped the intensity and handed control of the game to a Gleeson side who made the most of it pressing forward and putting the unfocused OISC defence to work; keeper Nick Dichiera needing to pull off a key save to maintain the advantage. Eventually though a silent and almost stagnant OISC defence was not able to hold out; as Gleeson brought the match level. Following a half time reminder from Coach Rossi, OISC came out a much better side in the second half grabbing back the lead early on as the two Julian’s combined with Julian Titaro’s corner finding a rising Julian Sartoretto who in timely fashion put in his first league goal for the club. He could have had a second soon after in identical circumstances, this time though the header going in the opposite direction. In the closing stages OISC again found themselves under severe defensive pressure, Adrian Parrella continuing a solid match keeping the Gleeson attack at bay to see the boys hold on for a vital 2-1 victory.

On Sunday the Lady Wolves returned to action with Coach Kapnistis back at the helm in a potential banana skin match against nemesis Pembroke, the only side to have taken points from OISC to date in this season. Despite coming off a week’s break the girls started positively and got on the board early through an Eliza Sims corner. The lead soon doubled as Sarah Tronnolone found her way through a melee of players in the box. Having nothing to lose Pembroke came out in the second half throwing everything at OISC seeing fears of their Round 6 clash come flooding back. OISC were under pressure early but the defence held strong; Chloe Murray in particular holding the defensive line firm. The fears were soon allayed as Christine D’Onofrio put OISC three ahead with her first. Continuing to press Sarah soon made it four with her second seeing an important three points banked with the 4-0 victory.

It’s Ladies Day this Saturday at the Superdome as the A’s and B’s host MA Hawks and the C’s play a big game against BOSA. The D/E Grades have no league match scheduled. Along with the BBQ there will be FREE CHAMPAGNE FOR THE LADIES so all you ladies make sure you come out and make a day of it!!! On Sunday the Lady Wolves roll on with their season as they head beach side to take on Sacred Heart.