Weekly Wrap – Week 18

Catch-up games, a breakthrough victory and a semi final birth headlined a weekend where some important milestones were achieved.

The C Grade started the round of catch-up games on Saturday at the Superdome taking on Sturt Marion. They found themselves under sustained pressure throughout the first half with Sturt having two key targets up front who maintained the attacking moves and opened up a comfortable lead. Not to be outdone OISC did work their way into the match creating a number of scoring chances which went unrewarded. In the second half facing significant deficit OISC continued to work hard building attacking pressure creating more chances than Sturt. Both Michael Sorgini and Adam Kangas coming close down the right. Midway through the half OISC caught a complacent Sturt side off guard with Adam Kangas bringing one back. Minutes later charging down the middle of the park Rocco D’Onofrio found himself on the end of a cross from the left which on the first touch was sent rocketing with net breaking force into the goal to bring it back to 3-2. Chasing the equaliser saw OISC caught out defensively with Sturt stealing a fourth to take the match 4-2.

The E Grade then took to the field against Adelaide Uni Grey and likewise found themselves under sustained defensive pressure with stand-in keeper Danzo forced to go BANG on a number of occasions to keep shots at bay. Uni’s attacking pressure did however break through putting two in to open up a comfortable buffer. OISC did begin to make some attacking moves; Marty determined to not let Rocky take the title of goal of the week took possession in the attacking half and flicked the ball with the side of his boot over his head to bring it in front of him to take a touch and score. Leachy following up late in the match with OISC’s second but it wasn’t enough; Uni’s attacking pressure saw them take a 4-2 win.

The D Grade kept the pressure on early in what was early on an evenly poised match. The world’s smallest attacking line of Andrew Rossi and Gab Soriano proved menacing but unable to convert their early chances. Eventually though the attacking pressure forced a Uni error when Sorge was chopped in the box and the Ref inevitably pointed to the spot. Galloping down the field Emerson “pen” Ciccarello lined up and converted the kick to give OISC the advantage. Uni pressed to try to provide an answer but Iordy remained strong in goals pulling off an outstanding save to send a dipping ball over the bar to maintain the advantage. In the second half OISC worked to maintain their advantage building a strong defence and pressing forward to try and extend the lead, coming close a number of times. In the end though the D’s finally broke through to score their first win for the season.

On Sunday the B Grade headed north to face Sunday Premier side Salisbury Florina, hoping to repeat the result of the pre-season OISC looked to take early advantage but were faced with an equally determined Florina side that was making OISC earn their possessions. Throughout the first half both sides had chances, Nick Barbieri providing a target forward for OISC and forcing a number of saves from the Florina keeper. At the other end the OISC defensive line particularly Julian Sartoretto, Tom Smith and Tom Surman had to work hard to repel the Florina attacking moves, Stav also needing to pull off some key saves to keep the match level. Coming out of half time OISC lifted the intensity and were able to maintain a majority of the attacking possession. OISC took the lead early in the half when Phil’s curling corner kick was put in by Patrick Sowula. Not long after Florina came close to bringing it level again but a vital deflection from Stav coupled with excellent defending to cleared it from the line. Using the principle of inertia, Adam Ciano continued to clear the ball through the midfield to give OISC regular chances to extend the lead, Phil continuing his hard work through the middle found himself in a 3 on 1 but unable to convert a golden chance. A free outside the box late in the match gave OISC another chance to line up double the advantage and in the scramble Nick Barbieri slotted in on the follow up. A matter of minutes later Carbs lined up a free for another foul from almost the same spot as the previous one and slotted the kick right into the middle of the net to give OISC a convincing 3-0 win and passage into the Cup Semi Final.

Kicking off at the same time around the corner from the Superdome the OISC women started slowly mishitting passes and struggling to create clear cut chances in the first 20 minutes. As the half went on the girls came alive with Natalia Rossi imposing herself in the midfield and Sarah Tronnolone again opening the scoring with a shot from outside the box on the left flank into the top right corner. Not long after she followed up with a second turning past a defender after receiving the ball back to goal and putting it into the top right hand corner from the edge of the box. Sophie Hlipala extended the advantage to three before half time scoring from a corner. Coach Rossi called for more of the same in the second half; the girls duly continuing from where they left off, with Alysia Panagakos scoring an excellent goal from 35 yards out. Excellent pressure from a corner then saw Seymour concede an O.G. Natalia continuing her great match then played a great pass for Sarah to get her hat-trick from a 1 on 1; Gemma Bateman’s excellent work from right back saw her follow up with a goal off of a corner. Despite the slow start OISC ran out convincing 7-0 winners seeing them move up to 4th on the table.

Next week all teams return to the Superdome in league action, the D Grade facing Strathalbyn (E Grade score a weekend off), the A/B/C Grades take on Wanderers and on Sunday the OISC women have an important clash against Seymour Blue.

REMINDER: The A Grade also plays a catch-up on Wednesday night against Modbury Jets; kick-off 7pm at Grange Sports Complex.