Weekly Wrap – Week 16

Comebacks, injury and own goals headlined another unbeaten weekend at Fortress Glenunga.

The E Grade hoped to open the gap on the table between themselves and Green United but it was Green who went go early taking the  ascendancy as they went two goals including a free breaking down the “great wall of Talla”, the ball sailing through the gap in the wall leaving keeper Tom Earls helpless. Michael Pannunzio relishing a ball over the top putting him in a paddock of space to run on and slot the ball through the keepers legs no less. The 2-1 halftime score line showing a match delicately poised and set for a grandstand finish. Green regained their two goal advantage early in the second half before Marty continued his scoring from to again reduce the deficit. Green put one more away before losing a player to a red card. A late brace to Rob Anfiteatro saw the E’s draw level to share the points in the entertaining 4-4 draw.

The D Grade were involved in a tight tussle with a Green United side yet to register a win for the season. The D’s were peppering the goal with shots but the Green keeper was showing OISC the red light pulling off some important diving saves. The D Grade proving the better of the two sides for large swathes of the match but were not able to assert that dominance on the scoreboard. Their persistence did pay off though as a late shot from Matt Gauro across the keeper put the winner in at the far post to seal a hard fought and well deserved 1-0 victory.

The C Grade took to the field against an Adelaide Uni side who suffered a heavy defeat last week with for the first time in 28 years Leachy not in the number 10 shirt. However early on it was OISC early on who looked like the side who suffered the defeat as they were put under heavy pressure. The Uni keeper was putting in a solid performance putting OISC’s best scoring chance, a free kick around the wall wide. OISC were still able to create many chances as they have been able to week in-week out but their radar was off with the shots going wide. As the half drew to a close Uni’s pressure was rewarded with a header from a long range free finding the back of the net. Play was halted in the second half when Adam Ciano went down and was stretched from the field. A late equalising Trent Spinelli header from a pinpoint Leachy free saw the boys salvage a point from the game but it was no doubt a massive case of opportunity lost.

The B Grade went down early against MA Hawks in bizarre circumstances with Paul finding himself under pressure from the Hawks strikers and in passing the ball back to the keeper missed Mark completely who could do little to stop it from rolling into the goal and suspending all betting markets on the Silver Boots. The match came back to level soon after as Rowan Thomas converted from the spot. In the second half OISC began to assert their dominance over the match, Curtis Covino, James Mercuri and Davide Cavuoto all getting on the board to give the B’s a comfortable buffer. The match getting a bit heated as Hawks found themselves under more and more pressure as the match was taken away from them. In the end it was OISC who took a 4-1 victory.

The A Grade took control from the first whistle looking to repeat their defeat of MA Hawks in Round 4 and went ahead from a Manou corner swinging in for a solid Gary Dal Broi header. OISC continued to dictate much of the play putting the Hawks defence to continued work; Peter Barone further extending the lead to two as half time approached. In the second half OISC took their foot off the gas with Hawks getting some chances to bring themselves back into the match but OISC still were able to assert their authority and deny them. The second half not living up to any great heights but the damage of the first half was done as OISC took the points with a 2-0 win.

On Sunday the Lady Wolves returned to action after their lay off against Pembroke Queens and went ahead in the opening two minutes as Sophie crossed the ball to the advantage of Rachel Varricchio who duly converted. Both sides were “rusty” in their first match in three weeks; OISC missing multiple chances firing the ball at the keeper and wide time after time. Play was halted when Captain Sarah Tronnolone was forced from the ground with an injury. The Queens were unable to reign over the remainder of the half, their attacking moves were cut off before any serious opportunity to get a shot on goal. The 1-0 half time score line proving flattering for the Queens in regard to the number of shots the girls were able to put in on goal without success. Coach Kapnistis calling for the girls to lift with a more focused performance, coming out of the break though play was being rushed and the chances again began to go begging. With time the play began to settle and the girls were duly rewarded as Christine D’Onofrio extended the advantage to two. As is so often the case one goal leads to a more in quick succession with Ellie Lynch scoring and the Queens putting in an own goal. As the match drew to the close Kate Ferguson extended the lead to five before a breakthrough first ever OISC goal to Amelia Rosella had everyone jumping for joy as it capped off the 6-0 victory.

Next week all teams are back on the road with the A/B/C Grades heading to Findon to take on Cougars, the D Grade head north to take on Burundi Eagles while the E’s have a weekend off. The Lady Wolves make the short trip down to Park 17 to take on Pembroke Old Scholars.