Weekly Wrap – Week 16

Goals, a Tennis score and a late drama headlined a high scoring weekend.

REMINDER: Poker Night is this Saturday Night, August 8th 6:30pm at the St Ignatius’ Parish Hall. $40 entry which includes entry into the tournament and Dinner. Full Bar will also be available. Click Here to view the Facebook event for full details.

The D Grade made their way to league HQ to take on Red Blue Eagles. Without the capabilities of the Leach-Pannunzio duo to once again link up for to goals, the question was asked, how would Leachy cope without his protégé, could he put himself back on the scoresheet? The match was an even contest with both sides having opportunities but neither able to break through. As the match looked headed for a draw, in the dying minutes; OISC received a much needed penalty and with Leachy on the sidelines it was left to Will Ventura to line up and give OISC the 1-0 victory.

The C Grade had to work hard against a Wanderers side who created a number of scoring chances early on. Ronnie Arboit working hard in goals to keep the shots out, a diving save that had him floating like a bird through the air until the thud back to earth, kept the match on level terms. In the second half OISC finally opened the scoring when AK put a ball across to a waiting Johnno in the box. As the half went on, Wanderers inevitably drew the match level which is how it finished, extending the C’s unbeaten run to 6 matches.

The B Grade dominated the start of their match against the top of the table Wanderers side; holding the bulk of the early possession in their attacking half, the opener denied when a Nick Barbieri shot found its way into the post, leaving those on the sidelines thinking was it going to be another one of those days. Those thoughts however were quickly cast aside when Barbs got the opener minutes later. Not to be outdone, Wanderers capitalised on some poor defending to level the match. OISC continued to dominate large portions of play, regaining the lead through a Mike Manou free kick lined up from just outside the box on the left side and slotted cleanly into the top right corner. OISC then got the break of serve extending the lead to 3-1 with Manou putting Barbs through to efficiently finish for his second. Failing the watchful in the next 5 test, Wanderers bringing one straight back with a cross into the box for a free header. As half time approached a Barbieri hat-trick was complete with a keeper punch sent straight back in a clinical finish for a 4-2 half time score line. Coach Rossi pleading with the players to finish the match off in the second half and not concede further goals. As the second half began that message was lost as Wanderers immediately scored. Maintaining their break however OISC continued to create chance after chance with Mick Dunstan finding his way onto the end of a Manou corner to header home the 5th to keep the goals on serve before a long range Wanderers cracker kept the game alive. Once again though the ball then went straight back down the other end for Manou’s second before Wanderers again cancelled it out and brought the score back to 6-5. In the dying minutes Wanderers threw everything at OISC to try to get something out of the match, Paul Barolo making a vital foul deep in Wanderers attacking half to stop an almost certain goal. Still somehow on the park he was able to get the ball back down the other end for Barbs to slot home his fourth. In the end it was game, set and match OISC with an amazing 7-5 victory.

The A Grade went down almost immediately with a big jumping header finding its way past a big header in goal to open the scoring. OISC had to respond quickly and did so with Peter Barone drawing the keeper out only to put the ball through to James Blake whose controlled finish brought the match back on level terms. OISC harnessed this to begin to get some momentum a long Chris Gauro run down the left side and cross into Tarek led to one of the misses of the year with the ball taking off over the bar. Wanderers capitalised on this and some poor defending to regain the lead. A frenetic 4 minutes leading into the half saw Wanderers again take advantage of defensive lapses to further extend the lead. Responding to this the Peter Barone show began with a gem into the top right corner , followed up with a second to bring the match back on level terms at half time. Coming out of the break, OISC harnessed those last few minutes to dominate play; a long Chris Gauro run saved by the keeper before on the pass out Gauro again found the ball to send it out wide to Tarek who put it back into a waiting Blakey who with his second shot after a deflection put OISC ahead. OISC continued to maintain their dominance but were unable to convert their chances. A long Wanderers run out of defence without any defensive challenges saw them bring the game level and with all the run in the final minute steal a 5-4 win, leaving OISC to once again lament an opportunity lost.

The Lady Wolves returned to action after the WCL divisional split against Seymour Blue and seemed all at sea going down almost immediately. They did almost immediately level the match with a Sarah corner finding its way to Gabby in the box almost erasing the opening 3 minutes. From here though the girls were slow and second to a lot of contests, Seymour showing much more intent and were able to far more effectively get numbers to the ball. With this they were able to get two more goals before the break. In the second half OISC had little in the way of chances or luck, a penalty to bring the score back to 3-2 sent wide. In the end a disappointing match saw Seymour take a 3-1 victory.

Next week all the men’s sides are on the road again, the A/B/C Grades heading to Rushworth Reserve to take on Adelaide Villa while the D Grade return to Grange for the second time in two weeks to take on USC Lions. The Lady Wolves meanwhile have yet another bye in the WCL as they prepare for the upcoming replay of the Cup Semi Final on Wednesday August 12th.

2015 Poker Night