Weekly Wrap – Week 15

Cup Round, the same opponent and attacking domination headlined a weekend where there were convincing wins for the two sides in action.

The D Grade took to the Superdome in a later kick off against Monarchs and took the initiative from the first whistle. Joel Ortner opening the scoring in the opening minutes with a run down the left side. OISC continued to maintain attacking pressure through the half, the unlikely Leach-Pannunzio duo combining for yet another week in succession for the second with a Leachy cross finding the head of Michael Pannunzio. At the other end, Mark Andrawos had a diving save late in the half to maintain the 2-0 half time advantage. In the second half, Monarchs began to build some attacking momentum, bringing one back early to leave the match delicately poised. A blow to the OISC defence came when Marty had to leave the field with an eye injury. The match was sealed however when Johnno linked up with Leachy for OISC’s third giving the D’s a 3-1 victory to help them maintain second spot on the table.

The A Grade also took on Monarchs in the third round of the Challenge Cup and were on the board in the opening minutes with a Tom Smith header from a corner. Minutes later the advantage came close to being doubled in exactly the same fashion. Shortly after though it was with a Chris Gauro throw-in finding Elias (If Tarek can score, so can I) Khoury who finished for OISC’s second. The domination continued with OISC rarely relinquishing possession outside of their attacking half, missed chances however prohibited the lead from growing, a square ball from Gauro to Blakey sent wide to be an example of this. As half time approached however OISC Gauro again linked with Elias who put Gianfranco through to roll the ball through a sea of legs and a blind sighted keeper for a 3-0 half time lead. At the break an “excitable” Coach Mylonas lamented missed chances and called for more in the second half. Once again though coming out of the break OISC started slowly with Monarchs dictating the play in the opening portion of the half. Inevitably though OISC began to again regain control with Gauro getting his first before Blakey also finally got on the score sheet and Elias for his brace. Once again though with all the run OISC missed many more opportunities late in the match to further grow the score line and were caught when Monarchs popped one in at the other end. The final 6-1 victory sealing a convincing win and passage to the Quarter Finals for the first time in many years.

Earlier in the week the Lady Wolves Cup Semi Final was cut short with the match tied at 2-2 following a very unfortunate on-field incident. The girls needing to regroup before making another bid for the place to take on Seymour Blue in the Cup Final.

Next week the league returns with all men’s sides heading west, the A/B/C Grades taking on Wanderers while the D’s go further west to take on Red Blue Eagles. Following their weekend off for the divisional split of the WCL the OISC Women will also be back in action, who they take on is yet to be released.