Weekly Wrap – Week 13

Winter, Super Saturday and a Cup victory headlined a weekend where there were 5 victories, 1 draw and a whopping 25 goals scored.

The E Grade looked to do the double over Aldinga Sharks and went ahead early through Tom Francesca whose shooting practice in the last outing served him well in dabbing the ball over the line from close range. The boys continued to dominate large swathes of the match further extending their lead through Marty Radcliffe. The Sharks did try to find a way to bite back but were repelled by the OISC defensive line. A second goal to Marty coming from a Patrick Stevens pass seeing him chip the keeper after failing to convert his initial shots. The match finishing 3-0 to OISC.

The D Grade took an early lead over Aldinga through two Iordan Kostadinov goals in a dominant opening passage before being pegged back to 2-2 at the break. The Sharks continued their late first half momentum early in the second as they put in two more to open up a 4-2 lead and almost put the game beyond OISC’s reach. A low Jack Cooke free kick found its way under everything and everyone bringing one back before his second once again completely changed the complexion of the match as it was brought back to 4-4 with plenty of time for both sides to find a winner. In the latter stages OISC grabbed the momentum and came desperately close to scoring the winner but in the end the matched remained in a 4-4 deadlock.

The C Grade were in control from the first whistle Johnno putting two and Ciano one on the board in the opening 15 minutes. Johnno taking full advantage not long after of a clearance from Jake drawing the keeper a long way out and allowing him to run around and roll in his hat-trick. The defence not having much to do, with the Gleeson side looking all at sea as OISC continued the rampage; Ciano finding himself on the end of a Johnno long throw to header home his second followed by Andrew Rossi extending the lead to six in the shadows of half time. The charge was halted early in the second half as Gleeson took full advantage of one of their rare attacking forays; catching the defence off guard to bring one back. Their joy however was short lived with Jake restoring the 6 goal buffer; a lead which could have been greater had a spot kick not found the crossbar. A late goal to Trent Spinelli saw the match end with a crushing 8-1 victory.

The B Grade looked to put last week behind them but found themselves down early with Gleeson sneaking a free past the wall into the bottom corner. OISC struggled to find traction with Gleeson dictating the play putting the B’s under pressure. The side was not helped when Tarek was forced to leave the field mid way through the half after a nasty clash. The boys tried to reagin some control but went to the break 1-0 behind. In the second half a different OISC returned to the field with a renewed focus and vigour taking the lead early on as Dom set Rowan up for a quick fire brace. The Gleeson defence were now the ones finding themselves under siege and were forced into errors, an own goal giving OISC some breathing room before Dom was able to get a goal of his own sealing the 4-1 victory.

The A Grade carried on their good performance from last week early on against a Gleeson side who proved difficult for OISC in Round 2. However that was less so the case on this occasion as Mike Manou put OISC ahead. The A’s dictated most of the first half but there were fears of the match going the same way as it did in Round 2 as Gleeson leveled the match, capitalising on a defensive lapse. It was short lived however as Nick Barbieri feeling left out of the early action popped up to score for the sixth consecutive match and give OISC back the lead heading onto Half Time. In the second half Gleeson came out as the more desperate side to get something from the match and put OISC under sustained defensive pressure for large parts of the half coming perilously close to levelling the match again on a number of occasions. At the other end OISC spurned a number of chances which would have arguably finished the game off but in the end they were forced to hold out on the margin they had for a 2-1 win.

On Sunday the Lady Wolves welcomed Div 4 side Modbury Vista to the Superdome in the Quarter Final of the Cup and were faced with an evenly matched affair early. The girls were troubled by a fast running Vista side but the defensive line particularly Lucia Caretti and Chloe Murray were efficiently clearing the ball out of trouble. Rewarded for effort at the other end Christine D’Onofrio put OISC ahead. Both sides had opportunities to extend the lead but were unable to do so, Christina Tziortzis remaining strong in goal charging through a pack of players to send a corner kick out of the danger area. In the shadows of half time Sarah Tronnolone extended the advantage to two. As the second half began so did the rain with OISC beginning to show their superiority in the increasingly slippery conditions. Ellie Lynch further extending the advantage to three. Vista were desperately pushing for a goal to get themselves back into the match but again the OISC defence denied them time after time clearing the ball out; Chloe putting in two runs the length of the pitch to provide the girls opportunity to seal the match. A fourth goal coming late from Sheeney Soulsby to seal the girls passage through to the Cup Semi Final once more.

Next week the Cup competition returns for the men with the A Grade playing host to Sun Div 1 side Tea Tree Gully City Saturday at the Superdome. The D and E Grades will also be in action in their rescheduled Round 10 fixture on the road to Southern Breakers. The B and C Grades enjoy a weekend off as do the Lady Wolves whose season moves into a 2 week hiatus.