Weekly Wrap – Week 13

Wet Weather, a key win and a semi-finals birth headlined a weekend in which two teams took important wins.

The E Grade found themselves being dictated to in the first half with the defensive line under sustained pressure, Marc Lissner having to put in a number of saves to keep the match alive for OISC, ably assisted by Martin Radcliffe marshalling the defence. In the second half OISC began to get themselves in the match and created chances to score. McLaren however were still proving to be the better side. Two goals to Dave Williams lifted the side but in the end McLaren took a 4-2 victory.

The D Grade put in an improved performance against a McLaren side that caused some difficulties for them the first time around. The entire OISC side performed admirably trying to stem the tide of quality opposition and were able to put a stop to many of McLaren’s forward moves. They were assisted by the increasingly heavy conditions with the ball holding up in the heavy patches but in the end McLaren showed their superiority taking a 5-1 win. Steve Simonato putting a goal on the board for OISC.

Meanwhile the C Grade took on BOSA and held strong in the opening minutes, holding out BOSA attacking moves whilst creating a number of their own chances to score, chiefly through Rocco D’Onofrio. Mid way through the half OISC should have had the opener only to be denied. Coming out of defence BOSA caught OISC on the counter firing in a shot on goal which was saved by Ronnie Arboit; unluckily however BOSA took advantage of some OISC ball watching to score the follow up. The second half was largely end to end with both sides creating scoring opportunities but in the end BOSA took a 1-0 win.

In the B Grade BOSA dominated early with OISC having few chances going forward. With time OISC began to work themselves into the match and pressed forward putting pressure on the BOSA defence. The pressure was eventually rewarded when a second consecutive corner kick from Phillip Dichiera found the head of Callum Watson to score the opener. Not long after a Callum cross in from a set piece found Tom Smith in the box to extend the lead. This saw BOSA lift the pressure putting in two before half time in the form of a penalty followed by a cracking strike. With the scores level BOSA maintained the ascendancy early in the second half scoring again to take the lead. The match then once again settled down into an end to end contest until with about 15 to play a powerful shot from the left side by Nick Barbieri brought OISC back level. Not to be outdone however capitalising on defensive errors, BOSA put two late goals in to take the match 5-3.

The A Grade jumped out of the blocks early maintaining competitive play. A long ball forward from Marz was chased by Davide Cavuoto who challenged for a ball with two defenders, the ball bobbling to Peter Barone who carried it 5 metres before hitting it into the bottom corner to give OISC the lead. OISC continued to dictate play for the remainder of the half with the midfield led by Gary Dal Broi, feeding the ball forward and providing a strong wall blunting attacking move after another. Coming out in the second half BOSA immediately took advantage of OISC messing around with the ball in defence to draw level. From here OISC had to press to regain the lead but still maintain a strong defensive setup to hold off any attacking moves, with Julian Sartoretto particularly effective and coupled with some outstanding saves from Emerson Ciccarello kept further chances at bay. OISC was still pressing forward desperately to find the winner and didn’t have to wait long when a free kick for holding was awarded. Gary Dal Broi lined up the free which was curled sweetly into the top right corner the BOSA keeper’s hand stretched desperately but to no avail giving OISC back the lead. From here OISC held strong defensively and were assisted by some forced BOSA changes. However reduced to 10 men for the final 15 minutes OISC just needed to hold on and continue to show some spirit which they did to score a vital 2-1 victory.

On Sunday the OISC women headed north to take on Div 4 side Elizabeth Downs in the third round of the cup. OISC began the game brightly, calmly retaining possession in the opposition half for extended periods during the opening 15 minutes, enjoying 2 good chances in the process. Elizabeth Downs then began to make their mark on the game, getting to contests first with a somewhat physical approach. The defence dealt with the opposition’s threat well, although the OISC midfield was intimidated by the opposition’s approach struggling to retain the ball for the remainder of the first half. A formation change to 4-3-3 by Coach Rossi at half time saw OISC come out strongly. The midfield trio of Natalia Rossi, Gabby Parente and Leah Contos expertly retained possession putting together 6 or 7 unbroken passes sending a ball to Alysia Panagakos who moved to focal point in the three player attack and combined in a one-two that saw Sarah Tronnolone finish into the bottom right corner. OISC continued this spell of possession continued, as Sarah added a second soon after with a great finish from an extremely tight angle in what was a cross/shot from the left into the far top right hand corner. With OISC still dominating the game and the defence dealing with any issues comfortably, the possession in the opposition’s half saw them foul Alysia on the right hand edge of the box and Sarah obliged with another great finish from the resulting free kick, curling it into the top left hand corner. OISC survived a penalty miss from the opposition late in the game, but otherwise the well organised defence and possession retention approach saw OISC comfortably run out 3-0 winners and secure their first Cup Semi Final appearance ever!

Next week only the B Grade are in action as the cup returns to see them take on Sunday Premier side Modbury Vista at Glenunga on Saturday afternoon.