Weekly Wrap – Week 10

Monday Night action, debut goals and hard fought points. It was an action packed weekend away from home, here is how it all unfolded.

The E Grade made the journey north to face a Fizi side who were very good in possession. OISC were unable to string many passes together, and were limited to set pieces in the first half. OISC should have taken the lead from a corner, when a Daniel Hurt shot was cleared off the line. Fizi seized on this going a goal up at half time, although it would have been more had it not been for some fantastic saves by Nick Evenden. OISC came out of the blocks from half time, with a lovely direct goal. Craig Walker’s precision long ball was chested down by Mark Andrawos, with Martin Radcliffe finishing clinically from 25 yards past the outstretched goalkeeper. The game didn’t stay level for long, with Fizi quickly regaining the lead. Marcus Wheatley scored his first competitive goal for the club with a composed finished after being put in by Martin Radcliffe to make the game level at 2-2. However, a switch off defensively left a Fizi player completely unmarked from a corner for OISC to trail 3-2. Chasing the equaliser, OISC conceded another, leaving the final result at 4-2.

Taking on the league leading FC Fizi, OISC went into the match with a defensive setup and started well with the back 4 and 3 defensive midfielders frustrating the opposition. The positive start was built upon as a Frank Maio thow in was flicked in by Luka Arlotta. The positives then began to run out as the boys conceded after a contentious free kick was awarded, Fizi then taking the lead after  miscommunication and square ball in the OISC defence allowed them to take full opportunity. The 2-1 half time scoreline not insurmountable if the boys were switched on in the second. The half was all out defence as the back 4 and 3 defensive midfielders continued to defend well against a strong opposition, Tom Chesterman in particular. A few lapses in defence and decisions going against them saw Fizi break the game open and take a 5-1 victory.

The B Grade took on an MA Hawks side who were defeated 4-1 in the corresponding fixture in 2016 and were hoping to inflict the same result this time around. The match though started in even fashion but despite the scrappy nature of the match OISC began to get a number of opportunities going forward through Dom Prince but also through Dos. Dom was finally awarded for his efforts after a good touch, cleanly finishing for the first. The lead was extended soon after as Curtis Covino carrying the ball down the wing put a cross into a waiting Tarek Tabet in the box for the second. Hawks were not able to get much in the way of attacking penetration as the half drew on and were lucky to not go into the break three goals down as Dos’ shot hit the bar. In the second half OISC continued where they left off with chances to further their lead. Complacency saw Hawks bring one back; catching a napping defence unaware with a rare attacking move paying full dividends. This proved to be turning point in the match as OISC switched off and the Hawks swooped putting the defence under big pressure but fortunately were unable to score. OISC had some chances late but were unable to find a third settling for a 2-1 victory.

In the A Grade it was the Hawks who had the better of the opening minutes but the OISC defence were able to handle things adequately giving them an opportunity to get into the match. Hawks continued to go in hard on player and ball but again were not able to break down the defence, Julian Sartoretto working hard to clear the ball out of trouble. At the other end Nick Penta and Barbs were creating opportunities but were unable to make them drop. Hawks continued their hard attack, attempting to make life for Bill Karapetis and those in the midfield without success. The match remaining deadlocked at the break. As the second half began both sides were going in hard knowing that the game was still well and truly up for grabs. Smart thinking brought the breakthrough as OISC were awarded a free just outside the box and quick play from Bill catching a unfocused Hawks defence off guard and allowing Nick Penta to put the A’s ahead. Channelling Blakey, Barbs made an attempt at a bicycle kick but the attempt flying well over the bar. Continuing to create chances OISC were unable to take any to extend the lead and they were made to pay late as a failed clearance allowed Hawks to draw the match level. The boys were unable to find a late winner and so had to settle for a share of the points.

The C Grade lined up on Monday night in what was expected to be a tough match on the road at BOSA. Things got off to a positive start as OISC took the lead in the opening stages through Jack Cooke. The first half remained a fairly even affair with both sides having opportunities to further the scoring. BOSA bringing the match back to level in the shadows of the break from a free kick. The match evenly poised 1-1 at the break. Some reassuring words from Coach Andrawos at the break encouraging the boys to go on with it in the second half with the expectation of their opponents tiring. The commencement of the second half began to see the match really heat up, OISC snatching back the lead with a Jake La Scala free kick from long range skidding into goal. BOSA desperate to respond begun a period of sustained pressure on the OISC defence who was able to hold firm. Trent Spinelli was unlucky to not extend the lead as a shot on target deflected off a defender and smacked into the post. Confusion reigned supreme as OISC continued to maintain their lead and despite bizarrely being forced to play the final 20 minutes with 10 men following a send-off the boys held firm for a well earned 2-1 victory.

Next week all teams are back in action at the Superdome with the A/B/C Grades taking on Cobras while the D and E Grades face Elizabeth Downs. On Sunday the Lady Wolves return to action as they play host to Seymour.