Weekly Wrap – Week 1

The opening round of 2017 saw the first bye of the season for a couple of teams, a number of hat tricks, along with teams coming home with the all-important first three points of the season. We take a look at what unfolded on Saturday at PAC.

The D and E Grades had a bye round for their season opener, which thus allowed a larger assortment of players to be available for club as a whole.

The opening round for the A, B and C grade squads was an away fixture at Prince Alfred, with all teams targeting a solid start to their campaigns. The C’s took advantage of a plethora of players availability filling their line up with as much quality as feasibly possible. They started off brilliantly against PAC as they got off to on the right foot (pun intended) with Jake La Scala opening with his first of many for the day with a well taken shot that bent around the keeper. After this opener the flood gates would open as captain Adam Kangas grabbed the second, shortly followed by Jake who notched his second with his left and his hat trick with a powerful header. The perfect hat trick!

It was clear that PAC lacked structure and the C’s continued to take advantage of this as Jack Cooke scored his first for the season. Anurag Chauhan got the chance to make 6-0 before the break from the spot, but missed his chance. Nick Evenden largely spent his time in goals as more of a spectator with PAC struggling to get into their offensive half. The 2nd half started much as the first had begun, as the PAC keeper made an absolute fumble of his kick out as it landed straight at Andrew Rossi’s feet, who duly lobbed it over the keepers head for his first. Rossi than hit his brace, as the boys continued to push PAC to their very limit with Rossi and Andrew Talbot missing plenty of opportunities. Finally not to be denied the limelight Rossi notched a hat trick of his own. However OISC would finally concede as Ooks would unluckily clear the ball into the back of his own net. Dewy would send in a free kick to land nicely for Tarek to score the 9th to see the C’s run out 9-1 winners.

Next up the B Grade entered the pitch brimming with confidence after witnessing a white wash in the previous game. It looked like it would be much of the same as Dos would open his account for the season with a goal after just 53 seconds on the clock. PAC would then take back some control of the game and began to place pressure on the OISC defence as they first hit the post from a free kick, then have a goal cleared off the line by Jason Di Benedetto. Tom Smith would rise above the rest of the pack to score a brilliant header to make it 2-0. The B’s entered half time supremely confident they could hold their lead, as Greg challenged his side to add a third to in order to ensure they held their lead.

The game resumed for the second half with neither side being able to break through as the match become much more even than the first half. Dos missed a sitter (seriously how could you), as OISC began to steadily lose focus and concentration. A player from PAC received his 2nd of yellow card for the match and was red carded, giving OISC the numerical advantage. However that seemed to inspire the home side as they managed to score soon after. OISC to their credit held off their opposition for the remainder of the game to win the game 2-1.

With the second win in the bag, the A’s were looking to make it a hat trick of wins for the day. Once again OISC took advantage of some lackadaisical defending on PAC’s behalf three minutes into the first half a delightful long ball from Gary Dal Broi found Nick Barbieri whose shot deflected off of one of PAC’s defenders for an own goal. From that point on OISC had plenty of opportunities to extend their 1-0 lead but were unable to convert. Andrew Fortunatow unlucky not to score as his shot would hit the bar just before half time.

The second half resumed and OISC were placed under much more pressure, and as such play became fairly ordinary. As chances dried up, Andy received his second yellow, and was sent from the field. Going a man up allowed PAC to push OISC even harder but were unable to get past the reliable duo of Joelon Covino and James Buccella who were immense on the day. Julian Titaro whose calmness in the midfield settled things down would get a good chance to score late in the second half but was unable to seal the second goal of the game. The A’s would hold on for a hard fought 1-0 victory.

Next week we are at the Superdome for the first time in 2017 as the A/B/C’s play Adelaide Wanderers, while the D & E’s see their first action of the season as they host Murray Bridge. On Sunday the Lady Wolves also take to the field for the first time in 2017 as the travel to Para Hills East to begin the defence of their Cup title.