Weekly Wrap – Week 1

Welcome back to the first weekly wrap of season 2015 where on a wet weekend at Glenunga some teams missed the chance for a good start while others ground out good results.

The D Grade were under pressure from a young and fast running Parafield Gardens side from the opening whistle going down early and forced to try to play catch-up against a side where this was difficult on more than one front. Gardens continued to maintain a high tempo throughout giving OISC little chance to get in the match. As the game went on Gardens put two more in but were still denied on a number of other occasions through Mark Andrawos saves. OISC did manage a consolation goal through a deflection to Joe Titaro but in the end had to settle for a 3-1 defeat.

The C Grade also found themselves struggling from the off against a Modbury Jets side who caught OISC off guard and gained the ascendancy. The defence had to continually try to repel the Jets relentless flypasts goal, Ronnie Arboit needing to put in a number of key saves throughout. Going forward OISC looked flat, struggling to find a way through the Jets defence force and thus were unable to bring the score back from the 2-0 with Jets took the match.

The B Grade coming in off good pre-season form appeared to desert them as they were struggling to gain control of the early part of the match. Continuing to struggle Jets took the advantage and opened the scoring and built a comfortable buffer. A penalty for a handball in the box that was converted by Adam Ciano brought one back but in the end OISC had to settle for a disappointing 3-1 defeat.

The A Grade looked to not repeat their efforts against Modbury in Round 1 of 2014. They began positively building attacking pressure and keeping the Jets defence busy. Using the wing via Gianfranco as an outlet to get the ball forward OISC put in some early shots most of which found their way wide and over the fence. Jets had chances of their own which forced Emerson Ciccarello into some important saves. As the half went on and the rain got heavier the attacking pressure paid off with James Buccella opening the scoring from long range. Jets brought the game level through a 50/50 line call and resulting corner. In the second half attacking toward a vocal “Danzo’s Hill”, OISC looked to keep the pressure high and through the opening minutes searched for a second; Mike Manou slotting back into the side proving pivotal through the middle. As the half progressed however the attacking pressure dropped and Jets began to create attacking chances of their own. However on a positive attacking move Peter Barone was clipped and brought down in the box; the referee pointing to the penalty spot. With the expected penalty taker on the ground there was much speculation who would step up to the spot, then galloping up from the far end of the field the alter-ego we all thought had left us #penciccarello arrived and a hush fell. Coach Mylonas found something interesting on Conyngham St to look at as Emmo lined up (with gloves on) in the Keeper v Keeper battle sending the ball low to the left and up into the back of the net. For the remaining 20 minutes Jets threw everything at OISC searching for an equaliser, but the defensive line particularly James Buccella, Julian Sartoretto and Gary Dal Broi holding strong. OISC taking a hard fought 2-1 win to get the first opening round 3 points in many years.

On Sunday the OISC women took on 2014 champions Seymour Blue in changeable conditions of sunshine, rain showers and squally winds. They got off to a positive start but suffered an early blow with Captain Tronnolone making her way to the bench. Keeping positive the midfield through Natalia Rossi and Gabby Parente distributed the ball forward giving OISC chances to open the scoring with Seymour finding it hard to get into the match. OISC’s attacking pressure eventually paid off as they took the lead late in the half through an Eliza Sims shot. At the break, Coach Rossi praised the structure which had been resilient and dampened Seymour’s first half attacking moves. In the second half the girls found themselves under more pressure than the first half with Seymour dominating a lot more of the play and eventually were able to sneak in an equaliser and then a second to take the lead. The OISC defence continued to work hard, Kate Ferguson particulary continuing to break down the Seymour attacking moves. OISC began to build some attacking pressure again late and brought the match level with a long range strike from Eliza Sims to see the points shared with a 2-2 draw.

Results of the poll from the weekly preview are in; a resounding 79% of you said the most likely thing to happen on the weekend was that there would be more balls in the construction site than the goals, with Tronnolone to hit the crossbar a distant second on 14%. (Editiors note: for the record you were all correct, more balls did end up in the construction site than in the goals.)

Next week the men’s sides are on the road with the A/B/C Grades heading down Greenhill Road to take on Comets, while the D’s head far to the north to take on Angle Vale. The OISC women meanwhile move into Cup mode hosting Div 5 side Northern Wolves.