Weekly Wrap – Round 4 & Community Cup Round 2

FA Cup Night, another A Grade win and a penalty shootout headlined a busy weekend at Glenunga with mixed results being recorded across the club.

The E Grade continued their charge against Northern Pitbulls, with Danzo’s side controlling the play for most of the game. Many chances went begging for the boys but despite this the veterans of the side saw OISC safely secure the three points with goals to both Mark Williams and David Leach (average age is 42!) seeing a 2-0 victory.

The D’s also took on Northern Pitbulls in a game which turned into a goal fest for both sides. Chances were coming at regular intervals and often when one side scored the other would immediately reply. Ivan’s men fought hard and while they had as many chances as their opposition were unable to convert them all and in the end fell short with Pitbulls taking out a 7-4 win. The goal scorers for OISC were Daniel Arbon, Rob Seals and Branko Ripa.

The C Grade came up against a highly experienced Adelaide Villa side, not to be overawed by this OISC did put up a good battle, falling behind early to a questionable penalty. OISC was awarded a penalty shortly after allowing Danny Totani to level the match at 1-1. As the game continued on the experience of the opposition came through allowing them to score three more, another cracking shot from Anthony Aoukar provided another highlight, in the end though Villa took a 4-2 victory.

The B Grade looking to get their season back on track took on an Adelaide Villa side who were also down on form. The game was not a good one for OISC falling behind and finding themselves unable to respond, the 2-0 loss gave the B Grade something to think about so they can bounce back next week.

The A Grade taking on the 2012 champions and a side who scored two victories over OISC last year were determined to reverse the ledger. The A Grade took command of the game taking a lead through an Adam Carbone goal which shortly after was followed up by another from Peter Barone. Adelaide Villa then brought back the score to 2-1 before an errant elbow struck Stuart Ballie in the head giving him a deep head wound which saw him go off to hospital for treatment. Coming back from half time OISC quickly extended the 2-1 lead with goal of the day to Gianfranco Malvaso and a second to Peter Barone all but securing the three points. A second to Adam Carbone extended the lead further before Villa took advantage of one of the few lapses in the OISC defence to score from a corner. In the end the game ended with a crushing 5-2 victory to OISC.

On Sunday the match of the weekend took place in the Cup between the OISC women and Division 3 side Salisbury Inter. The OISC women were not intimidated by their opposition two divisions higher dominating play in the first half and maintaining possession in their attacking half for a majority of the time putting many shots in, it wasn’t until a 1 on 1 with the Inter keeper that Gemma Bateman put OISC ahead. In the second half again OISC continued to dominate possession and thought that they scored again with a shot which from the sideline was not clear whether it had crossed the line, the goal was waved down by both the referee and the linesman. A goal to Inter mid way through the second half saw the game get levelled at 1-1, sending it into extra time where the deadlock could still not be broken. Finally the game came down to a penalty shootout, early conversions saw Inter take an early advantage, however saves by OISC keeper Natalie Rossi and goals to Alysia Panagakos and Sarah Tronnolone kept OISC in it. However in the end Salisbury Inter took the match out 3-2 on penalties.

Thanks to all of those who attended the FA Cup night on Saturday and a big thank you to The Oyster Bar for hosting us again this year. Congratulations to Tom Earls for purchasing the winning goal scorer.

Next week, all 5 men’s teams come up against Adelaide Uni at Glenunga while the OISC women head up Gorge Rd to face new side Torrens Valley at Birdwood.