Weekly Wrap – Cup Round 1 & WCL Round 4

Cup Round, Greek Easter and the return of Rocco headlined a week which only saw half of the teams in action.

The E Grade joined the C and D Grades with a weekend off following the withdrawal of their Cup Round opposition in the lead up to the weekend. The E’s as a result have automatically progressed to the second round of the cup.

The B Grade took on fellow Sat Premier club MA Hawks in Rocco’s first game in charge for the season. After a first half which produced many opportunities with OISC clearly the better side the 0-0 half time score line did not reflect the effort the B players had put in. The second half though they stepped up a gear with chances coming on a regular basis. The deadlock was finally broken through a Shane Leane intercept from a throw in which was put out wide into space allowing Simon Ventoruzzo to run on and put the ball into the back of the net. From here the game really broke open with not long after a long diagonal ball into space coming allowing Emerson “The Project” Ciccarello to score much to Rocco’s delight. Further chances continued to follow with a third goal again coming from a ball into space allowing Shane Leane to again run on, when faced with a 1 on 1 with the keeper an unselfish pass to the right allowed Simon to go around the keeper and score his second for the match. Chances continued to come up until the final whistle which saw a 3-0 OISC victory and progression the second round of the Reserve Cup.

The A Grade were just down the road at Ellis Park taking on again a fellow Sat Premier club in Comets. The first half of this match was nothing special as OISC looked lethargic and below the form they have shown in previous weeks. Moving into the second half, it began much like the first half, few chances came up, those that did tended to be shot wide or not utilised. Finally though for OISC a Shaun George goal broke the deadlock. This seemed to spring both sides to life with Comets attacking hard, causing the OISC defence to have to keep out their counter attacks, the A’s created some more chances of their own but the final 1-0 win allowed the A Grade to be the third OISC side in the second round of the cup.

On Sunday the OISC women took on 2012 WCL champions Seymour at Glenunga hoping to replicate the great victory they scored over them last year. In the first half OISC created many chances and were not intimidated by the quality of their opposition sending many shots in the Seymour keepers direction. The keeper did well to deny many of these but a shot by Sophie Hlipala from inside the 18 yard box found the back of the net and was reward for the constant pressure. In the second half the OISC women came out slowly and appeared to not have the same pressure they maintained in the first half with a defensive error allowing Seymour to level the match. In the end the match finished 1-1, still a very pleasing result and again making the OISC women the first team to take points from the Seymour side.

Next week all the men’s teams return to action at Glenunga with the A/B/C grades taking on Adelaide Villa and the C/D grades Northern Pitbulls. On Sunday the OISC women move into the Cup competition taking on Women’s Div 3 side Salisbury Inter at Glenunga. The club would like to see as many people out supporting the women and the men’s teams this weekend.

Don’t forget the annual OISC FA Cup Final Night is on Saturday night at The Oyster Bar (East Terrace, Adelaide) from 10:30pm. There will be drink and Oyster specials as well as the traditional sale of minutes and player auctions. This is always a great night and the club wants to see as many members there as possible.